Roasting butternut squash creates a fantastic caramelized flavor combined with the richness of black beans and enchilada sauce and you have a savory, intensely flavored vegetarian dish. Reduced fat cheese will lower the fat count and whole wheat tortillas add a wonderful flavor.
Butternut Squash, Black Bean & Green Chile Enchiladas
Share this Recipe
Print this Recipe
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can LA VICTORIA® Fire Roasted Diced Green Chiles
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 8 LA VICTORIA™ Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 1 (28-ounce) can LA VICTORIA® Red Enchilada Sauce
- 3 cups low-fat shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss squash with tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange squash on baking sheet. Roast 45 minutes or until soft, stirring twice during cooking.
- Transfer squash into large bowl. Mash until smooth. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, stirring occasionally. Add black beans and diced green chiles. Cook 3 minutes. Add cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Add onion mixture to squash; stir to combine.
- To assemble enchiladas, wrap LA VICTORIA™ Tortillas in damp paper towels and heat in microwave 30 seconds; turn over and heat 30 seconds more. Spread 1½ cups LA VICTORIA® Red Enchilada Sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish or casserole. Place 3 tablespoons squash filling in center of each warm tortilla and top filling with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Loosely roll tortillas up into wide cigars. Place filled tortillas seam side down in sauce. Repeat using remaining tortillas and filling.
- Top completed tortillas with another 1½ cups enchilada sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until hot.