The authentic carnitas recipe. We named this one for Halloween but comforting goodness of this slow-cooked pork recipe really needs no excuse. Perfect for every age.
Share this Recipe
Print this Recipe
- 1 pork shoulder (6-pound pork butt, cut into large chunks)
- 1 (16-ounce) jar LA VICTORIA® Thick 'n Chunky Salsa, Salsa Verde
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 4 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Trim any excess fat from the meat and discard. Place all of the ingredients in the slow-cooker and set to cook on LOW for 8 hours. When the pork is cool enough to handle, lift the meat from the juices and place it in a large bowl. Shred the meat using two forks, adding liquid from the slow-cooker as necessary, to keep the shredded pork moist.
- Skim the fat from the juices and keep for re-heating the pork.
- To serve, warm the corn tortillas and offer a taco bar of sour cream, pickled red onions, sliced avocado, shredded cabbage, shredded cheese, cilantro leaves and LA VICTORIA® SUPREMA® Salsa. Welcome guests to assemble their own tacos.